the white rabbit

Friday, May 18, 2012

I've noticed something. I'm late.  I'm late .  For a very important date.  No time to say "Hello, Goodbye". I'm late, I'm late, I'm late. NO. I. AM. NOT. THAT. KIND. OF. LATE. I'm T.V.-"late." And I have only one person to thank for this epiphany. The ever-lovely Schmes, otherwise known as Leslie, beautiful mother, former college roommate, and still beloved cold hard truth teller friend of mine.


isn't she gorgeous?


About two months ago, I got this random Schmes text: "Gracie. Have you been watching Downton Abbey? Because I found your British Twin. You are Mary Crawley!!" In case you haven't noticed, I'm asian american - jet black hair, squinty eyes, and cursed with conjunctive torso longitis*. How can she and I be twins? Does she look like me? Do i look like her? hey, that would't be such a bad thing.

                                            


Perhaps Schmes meant in character? So I did a little research and this is what I found out about Lady Mary Crawley: "She is feisty and is quite shallow and mean at times, but she cares greatly for her family and friends; even their servants. Mary is used to getting all the attention, especially from men as her parents are trying to marry her off." OH. Yeah. There it is. I see the twin similarity now.

But alas, I digress. Back to my entertainment-lateness. This is a trend Schmes has brought to light. Each year, with a few exceptions, I stand my rebel ground and refuse to join entertainment bandwagons. Only to be utterly disgraced a year or years later. Shall I parade some of my most valiant efforts for you all?

harry potter. book 2. i was a freshman in college when i caught wind of the great HP. seriously? this is a children's book. it cannot be that great. i go to cal don't you know. this is the place where great philosophers are produced. pass me the proust (nose in air). since i seem to be living proof of adages, let me throw this one in: pride goes before the
F
L
L.
 (only it was so much of a steeper fall) summer after my freshman year, i was bored out of my mind at home and picked up big brother's copy of HP 2: chamber of secrets. I'm no longer ashamed to admit this, I could not put it down. in fact, i went out and bought book 1 so i could catch up, even though the first fifty pages of book 2 sums up book 1. The only thing that allows me to still hold my head high is that i can say, i never waited in line for the midnight release of the next HP book.

then there was LOST. I am not into sci-fi. So when LOST was all the rage during its first season, when the internet was ablaze with theories, i refused. refused to start the show. At the end of the second season, husband's old roommate (a.k.a. the son we never wanted) convinced us to watch just the pilot episode, since he had the first season dvd. i'm not going to lie. we pulled an all nighter, missed church the next morning, cause we watched straight on through (i think, on the upside, this says something about my commitment). and by the end of it, we were humming that creepy credits song. don't pretend. you all know what i'm talking about and i know it's playing through your head now.

a year before i got married, i was sitting on the stoop of a friend as we watched her then 1 year old son play with his dad. she whispered to me, "grace, i'm so tired. i stayed up late last night reading the twilight series on my computer." i looked at her in horror and unconcealed judgment. i think i may have said something like this, "wow, glo, it's about vampires. VAMPIRES. teenage vampires right?? i think i've lost a little respect for you." fast forward to three months ago, when out of boredom i picked up the first book in the series and could not put it down. (i'd again like to highlight my commitment) i finished the series in four days. vampires, love, teenagers? yes please. i'll take two. what can i say? TEAM EDWARD =D

and now there is downton abbey. i guess the question is no longer to downton abbey or not to downton abby, but when to hop on the downton abbey bandwagon?

*conjunctive torso longitis: extremely long torso paired with short stubby legs.

6 comments:

  1. We'll make room for you on the Downton bandwagon anytime, and we do not discriminate based on race, gender, or torso length. Enjoy the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. laura, is your bandwagon a dvd bandwagon by chance? david and i are planning a trip up to boston via train and it's a 5 hour train ride...maybe a good time to gracefully fall into downton abbey =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hilarious...and yes, you need to get on the downton abbey train PRONTO! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. just because you picked a picture where you look less like mary crawley than usual, doesn't mean she still isn't your british twin. kindly scroll down to the pics in your first blog post - YOU LOOK EXACTLY LIKE HER...any similarities in character are purely coincidental ;)

    ReplyDelete